A Look Inside Rescue 2...
Several founding members of EARS were involved in veterinary medicine, and because of our specialty equipment and knowledge, our team has been called upon to assist with the transport of critically ill or injured pets from owner's homes into emergency animal hospitals, or for hospital to hospital transfers. Additionally we frequently respond to calls where we operate at the scenes of incidents such as house fires, evacuations, and other locations where extra supplies or a longer on-site setup is needed. As a result we need to carry a lot of supplies with us, and as the need for this type of service has increased, we began looking in to purchasing a larger vehicle for use on these calls. In March of 2016 our organization was presented the opportunity to raise the funds to purchase a former human ambulance and modify it for animal response use. After a major fundraising campaign, with donations provided by individuals, companies, and veterinary practices we worked with, we were able to purchase the ambulance and begin a 2 month process of modifying it for our needs.
Some of the specialty animal equipment that we carry on board Rescue 2 includes:
- Multiple types of pet stretchers for different situations (critical care, technical rescue, lifting assist)
- On board oxygen with masks specifically made for animals
- First aid and triage supplies for all sizes of animals (domestic as well as farm animals)
- All-weather response and safety gear for our team members
- Extra carriers, leashes, and supplies for pets
- On scene operations supplies including pop-up tent, tables, and triage items
- Communications equipment for our response team
Click on the video clips below to see some news coverage with more looks at Rescue 2